Mobile Sound & Video Network > Equipment > Video

Video All equipment used to display & transmit video regardless of event type. This includes projectors, LCD & plasma screens, DVD players, video game consoles, video cables, etc.

Unread 10-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
JPR
MSV Addict

Default cables

Hi Everyone, I have a World Series Party coming up in someone's backyard and need to get the signal to my projector. Is it better to run a coaxial cable from the outside connection to the cable box to projector (via HDMI) or just run an HDMI (one long A$$ HDMI cable) from the cable box inside to my projector?

I like the idea of having the cable box outside and coaxial is obviously cheaper. However, I heard somewhere that cable companies use different types of coaxial and that I could have an issue matching it up. Would that distort the picture?
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

For a short run like you are going to run, I can't imagine that a consumer grade coax will be any different then a 'supposedly' higher quality run. Just take your box outside, and be done with it. A HDMI that long will be costly, and you probably would not use it for anything else. You can buy some raw coax, and the ends, and just cut it and make it yourself, I have done it dozens of times.
Unread 11-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Ugh, I've been so busy lately I haven't even had a change to get on here.

I'm assuming you figured something out? The only addition I would have made to the conversation would have been that I've read that HDMI does not do well in long lengths. Don't quote me, but I think I remember reading that 30-35 feet should be about the max length you would want to use. Longer than that I think you can begin to get signal loss.

Component cable can be run longer. I've run 100' of component cable without problem.

I usually do what you mentioned, run long coax, and move the box outside.
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
melchz
MSV Contributor

also there are hdmi booster boxes to ramp up the sigal for longer distance runs. I'm looking into them for a few things and already have 3 splitter/booster boxes for vga that boosts the signal 210ft per box. very nice to run to multiple projectors over a distance. Ill be using that this weekend and next at a couple of school dances im doing with my cb 16:9 and 2 da lite 7:10s
melchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
JPR
MSV Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Miles View Post
Ugh, I've been so busy lately I haven't even had a change to get on here.

I'm assuming you figured something out? The only addition I would have made to the conversation would have been that I've read that HDMI does not do well in long lengths. Don't quote me, but I think I remember reading that 30-35 feet should be about the max length you would want to use. Longer than that I think you can begin to get signal loss.

Component cable can be run longer. I've run 100' of component cable without problem.

I usually do what you mentioned, run long coax, and move the box outside.
All went well. Had the customer bring the cable box outside and ran everything from there. The event turned out pretty good. The popcorn machine was a huge hit as well.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote