Mobile Sound & Video Network > Equipment > Video

Video All equipment used to display & transmit video regardless of event type. This includes projectors, LCD & plasma screens, DVD players, video game consoles, video cables, etc.

Unread 09-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
JPR
MSV Addict

Default Ps3

Did a showing of Avatar using the PS3 Blue ray player. After going Blue-Ray outside not sure I can go back. I will poar pictures a maybe a video later. Was very happy with the results. Might not use the PS3 going forward but would like to continue with Blue-Ray.

The salesman was telling me that the BR player will upscale normal DVDs. Is this true? If so, why not just carry the BR for both? Is quality sacrificed when using standard def DVD with the BR player?
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
JPR
MSV Addict

Here's a quick video I created.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITgjp6aIbTI
Unread 09-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Nice video! Avatar is one of the better movies to show outside on a big screen. Looks great and sounds great.

From what I've read, the PS3 is a good Blu Ray player to use. Can't you get updates to the firmware online? I think that helps keep it current with changes. And, you're right, I would just use it for both Blu Ray and upscaling standard DVD. Also, when you have the PS3 set up, you instantly have a video game set up at the same time. Hard to beat.

I've been considering a PS3, but I'm leaning more toward a Popcorn Hour media player. Might be getting one in the next few months.
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
JPR
MSV Addict

Doug stop complicating my life. Now I need to research one of these before I make a purchase.

Can't keep up with technology.

Last edited by JPR : 09-20-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Unread 09-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
big daddy
MSV Contributor

Ditto on what JPR said. What the heck is a Popcorn Hour Media Machine?

Matthew
big daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

The Popcorn Hour (I'm looking at the C-200) is a device similar to an HTPC (Home Theater PC). It allows you to store audio and video files on a hard drive and play them back on a TV (or big screen!).

Here's their website:

Popcorn Hour

I've done a lot of research on these media players, and there are a bunch of them out there. Western Digital makes one (WD TV) as does Seagate (FreeAgent), and there are many more. What I like about the Popcorn Hour C-200 is that you can add a PC Blu Ray drive to it, so you can run Blu Ray disks just like a Blu Ray player. It also has an RF remote, and it's also back-lit (good for use in dark places). And, you can customize the menus to a degree. I have a lot of music videos, movie previews, pre-movie videos, etc. that would be great to just store on the device and have instant access to.

I've been going back and forth between something like this, or a PS3.
Unread 09-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
big daddy
MSV Contributor

Hi Doug,

I am not a techno wizard but would it be safe to assume the popbox actually replaces a dvd/blue ray disk player? After listening to some you tube videos about the popbox, it appears to me that you could inessence have an account with Netflixs, download your movie and be ready to go at your gig.

would that be correct or am I missing something here?

Matthew
big daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Yes, you can do this. I don't know about the legal end though. Not sure if you could legally download movies (or even just rip them from a dvd or Blu Ray) and play them right off the player (for a customer).

But, in theory, yes you could keep a whole collection of movies on an external hard drive and have access to any/all of them. That's pretty much what I wanted to do with my music videos, etc. But, I also like the idea of having a built-in player there, even if just to use it as a back up.
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
JPR
MSV Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Miles View Post
Yes, you can do this. I don't know about the legal end though. Not sure if you could legally download movies (or even just rip them from a dvd or Blu Ray) and play them right off the player (for a customer).
The legality issue is there regardless of the player right? Whether the Popcorn,
PS3 or just a regular player you are playing media without the proper licensing. I am a fan of letting the customer provide the movie or whatever they want played.
Unread 09-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR View Post
The legality issue is there regardless of the player right? Whether the Popcorn,
PS3 or just a regular player you are playing media without the proper licensing. I am a fan of letting the customer provide the movie or whatever they want played.
Yes, I believe so. That's why I liked the idea that the Popcorn Hour (as opposed to some of the other media players) can be configured with a Blu Ray player. Then the customer can supply the dvd or Blu ray and you can play it directly from the disk.

I still like the idea of the PS3, especially since you would have video games set up at the same time. But, I also thought of something else. Most game achievements (things you unlock by playing the games) are stored on the hardware (whether it is XBox 360 or PS3, etc.). If you rent your PS3 or XBox to the customer, then the kids playing are subject to the things that have been unlocked on your console. I was thinking the better idea might be to just rent all the projection equipment, and let them hook up their own game console. That way, all the achievements, users, etc. that they normally play with are all available to them. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself that the Popcorn Hour is the way to go, I don't know.

If you are looking for anything else to research (ha ha), there's another great media player called Dune. They have a new "modular" product line coming out. Apparently you can buy the components you need and piece them together into one bigger unit.

Here's a good review of a Dune player (I posted a few questions on the blog here and the author was very helpful):

Dune BD Prime 3.0 BluRay Media Player