Mobile Sound & Video Network > Events > DJ & Music Video Events

DJ & Music Video Events DJ, VJ, KJ, all the 'J's! What's the best way to run a music, music video, or karaoke party? Discuss it all here.

Unread 05-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Default "Hats Off" to DJs

I have my first "big" music video event this Friday. I have done a bunch of backyard/pool music video parties before, but this is on a completely different level.

My respect goes out to DJs who do this all the time. Compared to a movie event (or even video games) there is so much more coordination to do. I have been planning this with the customer for several months now. Countless emails and phone calls, really.

It's also nerve racking to do an event that really means so much to someone. I'm trying to cover all bases and backups for everything, but I just don't think that's possible.

Doug
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

I am brand new to the mobile movie biz. Been DJing for 15+ years, and each job is different and a lot of work. Gotta make the client happy, gotta make the crowd happy. I am VERY pumped bout showing movies, and I know that there is going to be a lot of work setting up and tearing down the equip. Thing is, I am not going to sell things during the movie, so having 1.5-2 hours downtime int he middle of the job, is going to be rather strange. I am so looking forward to my first paying event on July 4th though!
Mackinac Movies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

DJing is WAY more nerve racking to me than the movie biz. You might be surprised that there can still be things to do. I have several large clients that want Intermissions. I don't agree with this as it breaks up the flow of the movie. But, they like to make announcements sometimes, or give people a chance to stretch. Intermissions are something you will need to coordinate. Also, I find my self tweaking the volume at times. It's a balancing act when you have some kids sitting 10 feet from your front speakers, and you have other people sitting 50 yards away. Do you blow out the kids ears in the front? Is it too low for the people in the back? You might want to take a walk to the furthest away seating area to see if you can hear it ok.

But, you're right. Bring yourself a chair. You could be sitting for some of it.
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Ya, I figured I would be playing around with the sound alot. I always walk around a gig and see how things sound. I even check with grandma to make sure she isn't getting blown out too much.

Never thought about intermissions. Interesting concept. I will have to think about incorporating that idea. I was looking at some old drive in stuff the other day, and thought it would be fun to play them before the movie, but never thought about splitting the movie up.
Mackinac Movies is offline   Reply With Quote