Mobile Sound & Video Network > Media > Movies

Movies DVD releases, movie reviews, etc. Have a movie that worked great for your event? Let us know! Also included are discussions of movie screening licensing.

Unread 06-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Yeah, pricing is difficult, as is finding your target market. One suggestion is to offer a big discount, instead of just lowering your rate (or maybe that's what you did). In other words, offer a 60% Off Sale. That way, you're price of $850 stays at $850, but you might still get the gig at the lower price. Once you get a few events hopefully your name gets out there and you begin getting referrals.

License fees are a pain in the ass! I respect the copyright holder, and I also agree they are entitled to get paid. The difficult part is even if you get the customer to agree to YOUR prices, you then need to tell them about the license. I've lost at least a half dozen parties in the past month due solely to the license cost. Well, I guess that's not really fair. It's a combination of my fee and the license cost that gets too expensive for some people. I present my fees first, so it's easy to blame it on the licensing. The fact is, without these copyrighted movies, we'd have very little to show.

Sorry, no real help from me. Just keep trying. The events are out there, it's just a matter of finding them. Or, getting them to find you.
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #12
big daddy
MSV Contributor

Default middle of July around corner

Ok guys, so I am up in Canada and dont know if the mentality is different up here than in the states but anyrate............went to a neighbourhood movie last Thursday. They were using Joe's projector, nicks dvd player , Susan's pa system and a big white bed sheet. They was probably 50 people there, they were watching Cars. Told them I could bring the real deal would even drop it $400.00 just to get a 1st gig. I was told too much.

Casually asked about the dreaded public performance license, the response was "WHAT IS THAT " after a brief description, they basically laughed and said they would never pay that kind of fee. This was in a public park. These kind of events are happening all over the city uphere. How do we get around that train of thought?? Screw the license and just do it ??????????

Matthew
big daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
JPR
MSV Addict

Drop $400? What are your rates?
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote