Mobile Sound & Video Network > Events > Picture Gallery

Picture Gallery Got a picture of your event or setup? Post it here. Since a lot of events take place in dark locations, this will also be the place for tips and tricks on how to get the best picture.

Unread 07-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Default 2010 Summer Movie Series

Thought that I would just start up a thread with a post for my Summer movie series. We are doing "Movies by the Bay" a summer park series for the local city, on the shores of Lake Huron. Of course, they had to change things up, and after specifically discussing the first date, 2 weeks ago they decided to move the movie from the 4th (after fireworks), to the 3rd. After the weekend, I am glad we did. We had PERFECT conditions, mid 70s, no dew, no bugs, no wind, just great overall.

We showed Back to the Future. Had about 135 people, not great, but respectable I guess, considering the date change.

DSCN1764.jpg

I was very windy all day. I was really stating to get worried 5-7pm. Winds were steady in the 15mph range, with 20 mph gusts. I was going to setup the screen about 5pm to draw attention, but that plan changed with the winds. Setup began about 8pm, and were were all done by 9:30, taking our time, and that included an interview and pictures for the paper. We will have to budget time for answering questions, more then I am used to though.

We started pre-show ads and Animusic about 9:40, with the screen barely visible By 10pm, there was still light in the sky, but we easily could have started the movie. The blackout panel makes all the difference here. We played another 10 minutes of ads, just for the heck of it, then on with the show!

DSCN1767.jpg
With my arrangement with the client, I ended up throwing the ad slideshow together last minute. They gave me individual powerpoint slides, I exported them to JPGs, and created a show in the windows movie maker. I was worried because the JPGs were less then 100 KBs. They looked bad on the computer, but OK on the 50" plasma, so I went for it and burned to DVD for the show. They looked just fine, but I had to zoom the projector different then the movie.
DSCN1757.jpg
DSCN1769.jpg

DSCN1771.jpg
The crowd area was surprisingly lighted. The streetlight needs to have a talk with a pellet gun

DSCN1772.jpg

DSCN1773.jpg

DSCN1782.jpg
Nice view, even have the lighthouse in the background.

DSCN1783.jpg

Last edited by Mackinac Movies : 07-05-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Mackinac Movies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinac Movies View Post
I was really stating to get worried 5-7pm. Winds were steady in the 15mph range, with 20 mph gusts.
So, the winds stopped by movie time? I hate windy nights!

Quote:
We started pre-show ads and Animusic about 9:40, with the screen barely visible By 10pm, there was still light in the sky, but we easily could have started the movie. The blackout panel makes all the difference here. We played another 10 minutes of ads, just for the heck of it, then on with the show!
I might have mentioned this before, but do you observe daylight savings? I remember you posting sunset times for your area, and I think they are about an hour after ours.

Quote:
The crowd area was surprisingly lighted. The streetlight needs to have a talk with a pellet gun
This is funny, I've thought about doing this many times. I always forget to look for streetlights, etc when scouting a location.

Here's another idea I've wanted to try (wonder if this would really work):

http://www.ehow.com/how_2199747_disa...ght-glare.html

Quote:
Nice view, even have the lighthouse in the background.
Those are some really great pictures and incredible scenery. I wouldn't know whether to watch the movie, or just look out on the lake. Beautiful! Although, I guess you are pretty used to the sights.

Sounds like the night was a success overall! Congrats! When is the next one?
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

So, the winds stopped by movie time? I hate windy nights!

Well, almost. It was gusting a little around then, but by 10:30-11:00pm it was calm.

I might have mentioned this before, but do you observe daylight savings? I remember you posting sunset times for your area, and I think they are about an hour after ours.

Yes Michigan is a DLS state

This is funny, I've thought about doing this many times. I always forget to look for streetlights, etc when scouting a location.

Here's another idea I've wanted to try (wonder if this would really work):

http://www.ehow.com/how_2199747_disa...ght-glare.html

Hummmm, interesting....

Those are some really great pictures and incredible scenery. I wouldn't know whether to watch the movie, or just look out on the lake. Beautiful! Although, I guess you are pretty used to the sights.

Ya, sometimes I take them for granted, but I can't imagine moving away from the lakes. Even bought future building property on a small local lake. I do love the view. And I hope that it will pull lots of tourists in to our summer movies.

Sounds like the night was a success overall! Congrats! When is the next one?

Next Sunday, then every Sunday till labor day, that is way I need to get everything setup just right for efficient use and transport.
Unread 07-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
JPR
MSV Addict

Congrats. Seems like the perfect setting (except for some offending street lamps) for a movie night. The set-up seemed pretty sweet to.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Continuing on with my series. Here we are in the 3rd week, and our first major weather problem. It rained, and rained all day. It was going to stop right around show time, but I decided to make the tough call, the site was too wet and the backup location would work out better. So it was on to the local high school.

I quickly made a rain location sign and posted it up. Load in was just fine. I was self-conscious about tracking in mud and water, but the representative said not to worry, the summer floor refinish was scheduled for a few weeks. I think this is the biggest issue when playing in a school gym. Well actually maybe just ours, not sure if other schools are the same way or not, but we have a state championship girls basketball team, and the school and coaches are pretty protective of the floor getting trashed. I did accidentally scratch it in one place - I know what I did, and with what case, and if we are there after the floor re-finish I will be so much more careful.

So, first time inside - better use the big screen right?

The Goonies 005.jpg

The Goonies 008.jpg

Yep, maybe the small screen next time... the big one was only about 4" from the rafters, and yes we did touch a light when inflating.

No worries though. Total attendance was down 100 people or about 75% but those that did come had a good time watching teh classic 'The Goonies' - although I may not recommend it as a BYT movie as I have found that it is a very dark type of movie (never realized that before). We did find out that the gym is a viable option though.
My home-made rain sign is being replaced by a professional one, and maybe we won't have to use it.

Last edited by Mackinac Movies : 07-28-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Next up actually was not in our summer movie series, but my first 'private' job. A neighboring town about 1Hr away had an all-class reunion, and they hired us to do an evening commercial, then movie. We showed 'The Blind Side' Good movie.

The Blind Side 001.jpg

The Blind Side 003.jpg

The Blind Side 021.jpg

Different things about this job, we hooked up the full DJ head unit for wireless mic and CD players. I'm still not happy with our movie head unit, I want a different mixer and wireless mic.

Oh ya, and wanna talk about HUMID! Everything was soaked at the end of the night. I have to come up with some sort of lil tent or something to cover the equip.

Last edited by Mackinac Movies : 07-28-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
JPR
MSV Addict

Quote:
Next up actually was not in our summer movie series, but my first 'private' job. A neighboring town about 1Hr away had an all-class reunion, and they hired us to do an evening commercial, then movie. We showed 'The Blind Side' Good movie.

Attachment 172

Attachment 173

Attachment 174

Different things about this job, we hooked up the gull DJ head unit for wireless mic and CD players. I'm still not happy with our movie head unit, I want a different mixer and wireless mic.

Oh ya, and wanna talk about HUMID! Everything was soaked at the end of the night. I have to come up with some sort of lil tent or something to cover the equip.
Nice! They both look sharp.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Summer movie series, Movies by the Bay week #4 - 'Monsters Vs Aliens' (What a cute movie!!)

Weather was a little iffy, as the winds were gusty. Wife said we should use the small screen, but I decided to push the envelope and use the big one, thinking that the winds would calm down towards movie time. The screen was bulged out maybe 2.5 feet, a bit distracting. That did happen several times over the first 1/2 hour or so, but it was workable. 7 'CLAW' clamps provided a stable hook-down so I was not too worried.

See the flags...
Monsters Vs. Aliens 003.jpg

Last Friday I enjoyed using the wireless mic, so we used the full DJ head unit again. This is too much electronics for a mic and mixer hookup, still gotta fix that. Gonna get a big payment this week, so I think I can maybe get the movie head unit fixed in the coming weeks

Monsters Vs. Aliens 001.jpg

Had my first major problem. We have a vendor. His job is to sell his concessions, AND give away free popcorn.

Monsters Vs. Aliens 004.jpg

The committee bought him a new popcorn maker. What I didn't realize is that he plugged into MY video/audio circuit!!

We had a SUPER crowd - 240+ and I was feeling the buzz. Cranked the audio a bit more then usual, and it sounded fantastic. Those 18" subs were singing with headroom to spare. Everything went good for over 30 minutes. I was enjoying the movie, then all of a sudden.......

we

went

dark!

Popped a breaker - breaker box was padlocked. My wife sprang into action. I quickly changed the video/audio cord to the blower circuit, and killed the sub amp so save power. I made some announcements, and Julie started to play some party tunes on CD. I turned the projector back on and waited for it to warm back up. Thankfully I was watching the movie, so i knew where to re-cue to, and went to work. Meanwhile someone from the DPW was in the crowd, and called for a key to the lock. It took about 5 minutes to get things all set back up. I was most worried about the projector bulbs, but things came back on OK. We killed the music, and I announced "and now - back to our regularly scheduled program" to a loud applause. After we got things back going again, I pulled the popcorn machine, and reset the breaker. A hot-swap on the blower the other circuit allowed us to bring the sub amp back on-line, and the show was back to full song. I then loaned some cords to the vendor, and we ran the popcorn maker over to the pavilion for the rest of the evening. I blamed the power problem on our new popcorn maker, and the crowd was very understanding. I heard very very few negative remarks through the whole thing, and only 1 or 2 cat-calls right at failure.

The whole experience was a little tense, but all in all I think we did well under pressure. Once again I am proud of my wife - we make a good team.

Also new this week, I pulled some strings, and had most of our light problem fixed. I asked the power company to rotate the big streetlight towards the street, and after the reposition I bet we lost over 1/2 of the light on the crowd area, a real help. I also asked the DDA and they put a kill switch on the pathway light next to the screen. The result is a dark screen area, and semi-light crowd area. The biggest complaint the first 2 weeks was the bugs - they even treated for that! We are turning this into a real nice outdoor theater!

Monsters Vs. Aliens 009.jpg

Monsters Vs. Aliens 013.jpg
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Wow, Neil, you guys are going "all out" for your movies! I like the fact that you can get changes made to your setup area (lighting, etc.) to get better viewing conditions. It's looking great, hopefully you're having fun at the same time!

That SUCKS that the popcorn guy plugged into your power! I've had that happen on a few occasions. One vendor I work with makes pretzels, using a decent sized oven. We've had that pop breakers in the past, but we've done enough parties together now that I think we have a system down. Also, we did a mini-concert once, and the band plugged directly into our power. In fact, I ran a long cord from further away just to give the band access to a closer power source. I told the band where to plug in, but I didn't watch them or follow up. Right in the middle of playing, everything shut off. I told the woman running the event what happened because I didn't think it was right for me to take the blame.

I've gotten in the habit of remembering exactly what time we start the movie. Then, if we do pop a breaker, the first thing I do is look at the time. That tells me how far we got into the movie. But, a lot of times I just jump to the beginning of the scene that starts before the problem occurred.

Again, hope you're having fun, and keep posting pictures, it's awesome!
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #10
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Well, the changes to the area are a little easier to swing since we still have 15 movies planned over the next year and a half. They have been really receptive to the changes because they want things to succeed.

I really like your little movie time trick. That is a very useful tool, and I started using it this week.

And as far as having fun, I enjoy doing movies a whole lot, aside from rolling up the screen, and staking it down. I am working a some different things to make it more of an event. Eventually I want things to be more then just the movie, I want to to become more of a pre-event then the movie. I think the 'private market' would be more open to a longer show with more of an overall experience.

On to week #5.
PERFECT weather to show "Bee Movie" this week. 75d, no wind (kinda humid-I am considering a solution to this problem).
No pics this week, cause they are kinda looking the same as previous weeks. We had a decent crowd around 170, and are starting to get quite a few teeny-boppers. The buzz coming from the crowd was distracting at times. I am considering one of those old-school drive in clips with the "Shhhhhhh"
We used the full DJ rig again. I really really need to sit down and configure a new rig this week, I don't like the tools I have available to me, and feel I can do a better show with a different config.

Next week we are expecting a huge crowd next week for "Iron Man" We had a small police tour this week, and I have asked for a larger one next week to do a little crowd control.