Mobile Sound & Video Network > Equipment > Video

Video All equipment used to display & transmit video regardless of event type. This includes projectors, LCD & plasma screens, DVD players, video game consoles, video cables, etc.

Unread 07-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Default New PS3 - Can't use Component output for Blu Ray playback

I saw this story posted at 1up.com:

http://www.1up.com/news/new-ps3-mode...-not-hd-gaming

Apparently there is a new PS3 version coming out that will only play Blu Ray movies over HDMI. The PS3 will no longer play Blu Ray movies over component cables. This could be significant if your projector does not have an HDMI input. Could be even more significant if this new PS3 version does not output analog audio separately.

If you've been thinking about getting a PS3 this might not be a bad time to get one (before the new version takes over).
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

I don't care for all of the Blue-Ray tech. Seems like they wanted to get everyone hooked on the new-better format, and with all of these tech issues, and cavats. All of the required internet connectivity, hard drives and stuff just seems like way overkill to me. We are giving (or they are taking) way too much control.

Just give me a player, my choice of outputs.
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

I hear what you're saying. I'm also in no rush to move to Blu Ray. Especially for outdoor movies, I think it's overkill. But I let my customers supply the movie, so I can just as easily be handed a Blu Ray as a standard DVD. So, for that reason, I need to have a Blu Ray playable solution on hand.

By the way, I am now running my events using the PS3. Loving it!!! Every day I find something new. Today I found out that you can download free movie trailers right to the hard drive. Too cool! I'll try to do a review soon.
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote