Mobile Sound & Video Network > Events > Other Event Types

Other Event Types Weddings, live video feeds, TV, slideshows, etc.

Unread 04-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Default Sporting events

Just wondering if anyone has ever done a live sporting event? I have a client that wants me to do a couple of college football games this fall. Aside from the fact that I will have to do some messing around to see if I can even get the setup to work in the daylight, does anyone have any suggestions, tips or pointers for one of these events? I can't find anything about simulcasting a sporting event (except the ridiculous rules for the super bowl that is) I would think that as long as you are not RE-broadcasting it, and showing it live, that there are no licensing problems.
Mackinac Movies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

I did a live sporting event a few years ago. Honestly, I never looked into the legalities behind it. I guess I thought as you said, that as long as you are not re-broadcasting it, you should be ok.

Now that you brought it up, I did a little searching. Sounds like I was in the clear, and I think you will be also. Below I have quoted part of a Q&A section on the ASCAP (AMERICAN SOCIETY OF COMPOSERS, AUTHORS AND PUBLISHERS) website:

Quote:
8. I'm interested in playing music in my restaurant or other business. I know that I need permission for live performances. Do I need permission if I am using only CD's, records, tapes, radio or TV?

Yes, you will need permission to play records or tapes in your establishment. Permission for radio and television transmissions in your business is not needed if the performance is by means of public communication of TV or radio transmissions by eating, drinking, retail or certain other establishments of a certain size which use a limited number of speakers or TVs, and if the reception is not further transmitted (for example, from one room to another) from the place in which it is received, and there is no admission charge. Your local ASCAP licensing manager can discuss your needs and advise how ASCAP can help you.
It sounds like TV broadcasting is ok (except the Big Game, as you mentioned).

Now, showing during the day is a completely different subject. The sun is mighty powerful. I have never been able to get a good enough picture to do a daytime show. Think along the lines of setting up under a large tent, shading the screen from all angles, etc.

Or, just get one of these:

http://blog.freshairflicks.com/2009/...es-square.html

The event I did a few years ago was a home-opener NFL game. It was the Giants vs. the Colts (Manning vs. Manning). Speaking of which, I believe they meet again this year. A customer of mine throws the BIGGEST tailgate party every year for the Giants home-opener. Let's just say, hundreds of people, fully catered, they even hire a band to play (right in the parking lot). I think they had some beer also! They wanted me to set up a screen, and broadcast the game in the parking lot for the people who did not have tickets. I was able to use a 10' pole with a UHF antenna on top to pick up an HD feed out of New York. Unfortunately, I never got pics of the screen set up. But, here a few pre-game pics:

Giants Stadium:

2006-09-10-17-39-15-1233.jpg

Pre-game show on a few small screens:

2006-09-10-17-34-37-1229.jpg

Here is the band playing:

2006-09-10-17-33-46-1227.jpg

If you can find a way to work it out, I'd do it. Can be a lot of fun.
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

So, I assume you did this during the day? How did you shade the screen?

I have 2 quite heavy, dark brown tarps that I was thinking of covering the screen, and creating some shade. I guess I won't know if it will work until I get my screens and do some experimenting.
Unread 04-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Sorry, I never really explained that. The pics I posted were taken at about 5:30 pm, before I set up the screen. I just went back to look up the details for that setup. The date was Sep. 10th, 2006. Sunset was at 7:15 pm, and the game start time was 8:15 pm. I knew it would be plenty dark enough by 8:15 (1 hour after sunset), so the sun was not a factor.

From what I've read (and the little I've tried myself) it's very difficult to do any daytime showings. The only solutions that I've ever heard working all used rear projection. And, they all completely enclosed the projector, and blocked all light from behind the screen. I believe the best results come from using a dedicated high gain rear projection screen.

I'm not the kind of person to say it can't be done. I tried something similar to what you were talking about, using tarps to block the sun. I could barely even see a picture. But who knows, once you get your screens, try a few things. Maybe you'll come up with something.
Unread 04-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

OK that makes more sense. My potential client has a little bit of a strange attitude. He said that as long as they can hear the game, and kinda see it on the big screen that he wants to do it. He figures if something is that important, they will go into the bar to see the plasmas. It is more about the experience. I will do some testing, and take some pics. We will see.
Unread 04-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

I'd tread cautiously with this one if I were you. I've had customers tell me similar things (like your customer saying that as long as they can hear the game, it's ok). I've had situations like this, and no matter how much you tell people what to expect, things change once you set up. Once you set up a big screen, people will just expect to be able to see the game. Maybe not the guy who hires you, but everyone else there probably will. If the game turns out to be unwatchable, it will be YOU who looks bad, not the guy who hired you.

To make matters worse (and this has happened to me) you might lose your whole audience. Let's say something big happens in the middle of the game and everyone runs into the bar to see what happened. Once inside, they might decide they would rather watch the game, then just listen to it. In other words, they might not come back out.

Not trying to totally discourage you, just some things to think about. Are there any night games you can do instead of day games?
Unread 04-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Miles View Post
I'd tread cautiously with this one if I were you. I've had customers tell me similar things (like your customer saying that as long as they can hear the game, it's ok). I've had situations like this, and no matter how much you tell people what to expect, things change once you set up. Once you set up a big screen, people will just expect to be able to see the game. Maybe not the guy who hires you, but everyone else there probably will. If the game turns out to be unwatchable, it will be YOU who looks bad, not the guy who hired you.

To make matters worse (and this has happened to me) you might lose your whole audience. Let's say something big happens in the middle of the game and everyone runs into the bar to see what happened. Once inside, they might decide they would rather watch the game, then just listen to it. In other words, they might not come back out.

Not trying to totally discourage you, just some things to think about. Are there any night games you can do instead of day games?
Those are really really good points, and something that I have not thought of.

Nothing pisses me off more then get JUST getting a dance floor rocking, and have a photographer grabe the Bride and Groom to do something. Kills the momentum. I see this as happening in your example. I will have to set stuff up, real world to make a decision to see if it is even possible, but if ou say probably not then I will push for an evening game instead, but I think the whole instigation was the Michigan Vs Michigan State thing.

Hell, I just hope my screens get here soon, and the Red Wings can hold on tonight, and I could try an evening hockey game!!
Unread 04-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

A night hockey game sounds great!

I just looked up the score, don't want to jinx it, but lookin' good for the Red Wings.

Speaking of Michigan, my Eagles picked up a great player in Brandon Graham. A lot of Eagles fans (myself included) really wanted to see an offensive line pick, but hard to argue with getting Graham.
Unread 08-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

The same customer who hired me before to set up a screen at a football game wants me to do it again. This time with the 20' screen! Should be interesting!
Unread 08-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
JPR
MSV Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Miles View Post
The same customer who hired me before to set up a screen at a football game wants me to do it again. This time with the 20' screen! Should be interesting!
Does anyone use the Slingbox for these kind of events?

http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-prohd

Saw it on another site and it seems like a better solution than hoping to get a signal. I would think the quality is better also. Just wondering.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote