Mobile Sound & Video Network > Events > Picture Gallery

Picture Gallery Got a picture of your event or setup? Post it here. Since a lot of events take place in dark locations, this will also be the place for tips and tricks on how to get the best picture.

Unread 07-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
JPR
MSV Addict

Default Trial run

Started a new thread so that I wouldn't ruin the other one. Okay, so Man on Fire is not the best movie for an outdoor setting. I was rushing and I really enjoy that movie. Couple choice the neighbors might not enjoy. Here are pictures of what I referring to about not filling the screen. I wish these picture would have came out a little better because I was really happy with the picture quality. Doesn't help the movie is super dark.

Projector: Epson 1925W
Screen: CB 10x5 with BOC
DVD Player: Some Sony player I've had about 5 years
Audio: K12's - really happy with this purchase.

man on fire-resized.jpg

Denzel gets pretty banged up but even worse is the wasted space on my screen. I think this is an easy fix which I hope to iron out for the next run.

man on fire-resized_B.jpg

Denzel is ready to take on the world. And so was I when I heard, "This looks like the actual movie theater!" (wiping my tears of joy). Now if I can fill out the screen it will be even better.

Overall I was happy but there are some things that obviously need to be ironed out. I feel like I need something to put the screen on that is versatile from place to place. I kind of like the cart Doug has and I've been thinking of making something like it with a rack and adjustable projector holder. I need longer speaker wires to allow for a better set-up.

What are you usung to tether your screens? What type of stakes? Do you tarp the sceens? Black tarp?

Recommend a dvd player?
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

I've been meaning to reply here for a while (just got back from a 2 week vacation).

First, the pics look pretty good. Movies are difficult to get good pictures of, especially in the dark.

As for the black bars on the top and bottom, there are a few things to try. My guess is that you are running S-video and using a widescreen movie. In this scenario, the black bars will get added to the top and bottom as you are seeing. One easy way to fill the screen would be to move the projector further away from the screen. This will make the image larger, and should fill the screen better. The better solution is to get a dvd player that outputs in 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p (Blu Ray). Those players will use component video cables or HDMI, and will be the correct aspect ratio (avoiding the black bars).

As far as which dvd player, that's a good question. There are tons of options out there. I've always had great success with Oppo dvd players. I've been looking into one of their Blu Ray players but it's kind of pricey at close to $300 (Oppo BDP-80). But, believe it or not, I can count on one hand the number of customers who have even asked me about Blu Ray, so I don't think you need to rush into Blu Ray, yet. But, I have a feeling it will become more requested in the near future.

I LOVE my projector cart. It still needs a few tweaks, but I'd never go back to the way I used to do it.

When you say "tarp the screen", are you referring to a "ground tarp" for under the screen?
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
JPR
MSV Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Miles View Post

When you say "tarp the screen", are you referring to a "ground tarp" for under the screen?
Yes I am.
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Black would probably be the tarp color I would choose, buy I haven't found many black tarps. At least, not in stores, but I did see some online. My 20' screen came with a blue tarp, so I use that, but I don't like the color. I have brown tarps for my other two screens.

I roll up the screen "in" the tarp. The tarp becomes the protective cover when storing, and it also eliminates the need to transport the tarp separately.

This is how I roll up the screen in the tarp:

http://www.msvnetwork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
JPR
MSV Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Miles View Post
Black would probably be the tarp color I would choose, buy I haven't found many black tarps. At least, not in stores, but I did see some online. My 20' screen came with a blue tarp, so I use that, but I don't like the color. I have brown tarps for my other two screens.

I roll up the screen "in" the tarp. The tarp becomes the protective cover when storing, and it also eliminates the need to transport the tarp separately.

This is how I roll up the screen in the tarp:

http://www.msvnetwork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171
<<< LINK REMOVED >>>

I've bought tarps from them in the past. Here are some black ones. Seems fairley priced.

Last edited by Doug Miles : 08-06-2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Link removed as requested by the linked website
Unread 08-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

I agree, pretty reasonable. Especially when it says this, "sunblocker qualities". If they block out the sun well, then those are great prices. I'm always on the lookout for sunblocking tarps. I have this "pipe dream" of creating a mini "theater" using canopies and sunblocking tarps in order to be able to show movies during the day.
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

www.Northertool.com for tarps here. I got the brown/forrest green ones and they are working out great.