Mobile Sound & Video Network > Events > Picture Gallery

Picture Gallery Got a picture of your event or setup? Post it here. Since a lot of events take place in dark locations, this will also be the place for tips and tricks on how to get the best picture.

Unread 08-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Default Backyard Movie Night - August 14, 2010

Notes: This was a pretty typical backyard movie set up. I met up with JPR for this party (again nice to finally meet, and thanks for the help). Ran into two problems during the movie, but that was probably the best introduction for JPR.

Not every party goes perfectly, shit happens, what can you do? But, both problems were preventable, and I should know better, so I take full responsibility. This was a repeat customer, who is also very nice, and very understanding. Even told me the problems were not my fault. He didn't seem phased at all. But, this stuff really bothers me.

Problem #1: Customer supplied the DVD (which was a Blockbuster rental). This shold have been clue #1. About 10 minutes into the movie, it started "skipping". I let it go for a few minutes, hoping it would get past whatever was causing it. But, it continued. I stopped the movie, cleaned the disc quickly (which had fingerprints all over it) and restarted. I had looked at the runtime before stopping the movie (it was at about 11 minutes) so after restarting I just hit FF to get back to where we were. After this there were no more skipping problems. Problem #1 solved. LESSON: always clean, or at least check, disks before trying to use them (whether they are your own, or are supplied to you).

Problem #2: About 45 minutes into the "restart" I decided to check the run time (we were watching the movie from behind the audience, on the audience side) so I wasn't "monitoring" the runtime. About a minute after checking, POOF, power goes. Complete darkness, and Dead Silence. Sorry for the pun, the movie they were watching was called Dead Silence. I later realized that was kind of ironic! Anyway, it turns out that the customer had plugged my extension cord into one of his own, not directly into an outlet as I had assumed. This can cause several problems, including voltage drops caused by long runs. I didn't notice a voltage drop, but the other problem was that the customer's extension cord had its own "reset" switch on it. I guess it was some sort of "breaker", etc. and it had tripped, causing the power outage. I also noticed that his cord was very warm to the touch, and my cord was warm (toward the "equipment" side). I was debating pulling out a heavier cord (the one I was using was 14 gauge). But, I've used this particular cord countless times. So, I just unrolled some more cord from the reel, which allowed us to plug it directly into an outlet. We restarted again, and this time I jumped ahead using "scene selection". After this there were no more problems and we were able to get through the rest of the movie. Also, about five minutes after restarting the second time, my cord was cold to the touch, so I felt a lot better. Problem #2 solved. LESSON: verify where your power is coming from, and what it is plugged into.

Equipment used: 10' "Lead Free" CB screen, 10" EONS, dw5000u projector, Oppo DVD player.

Conditions: beautiful night for a movie, not too hot, not too cold, only 10% chance of rain. I don't think there was a cloud in the sky.

I'm only posting one picture here, as the setup was just like all my other setup pictures. But I wanted to post this picture because it shows something that I've tried to get a picture of before, but have been unable. This is a shot of the screen, projector was on, but DVD player was not, so there is no "content" being projected, just the bluish projector image. I have purposely dropped the brightness on the picture to over-emphasize the issue. It didn't look this bad in person. You can see from this picture that there are two bright "streaks" visible on the screen (coming up from the lower left-hand corner). I'm pretty sure this is basically a "hot spot" caused by the projector. I've noticed this before, even during movies, it depends mostly on the angle you are viewing from. But, I've never seen this with my Vision Experience screen, so I suspect it is due to the projection screen material of the CB screen. Again, its not always noticeable and no customer has ever said anything to me about it.

P1080040.jpg

I almost forgot. I also took a video during the movie. I'm trying to get my youtube account straightened out, then I'll probably upload it and post it here.
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
JPR
MSV Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Miles View Post
Notes: This was a pretty typical backyard movie set up. I met up with JPR for this party (again nice to finally meet, and thanks for the help). Ran into two problems during the movie, but that was probably the best introduction for JPR.

Not every party goes perfectly, shit happens, what can you do? But, both problems were preventable, and I should know better, so I take full responsibility. This was a repeat customer, who is also very nice, and very understanding. Even told me the problems were not my fault. He didn't seem phased at all. But, this stuff really bothers me.

Problem #1: Customer supplied the DVD (which was a Blockbuster rental). This shold have been clue #1. About 10 minutes into the movie, it started "skipping". I let it go for a few minutes, hoping it would get past whatever was causing it. But, it continued. I stopped the movie, cleaned the disc quickly (which had fingerprints all over it) and restarted. I had looked at the runtime before stopping the movie (it was at about 11 minutes) so after restarting I just hit FF to get back to where we were. After this there were no more skipping problems. Problem #1 solved. LESSON: always clean, or at least check, disks before trying to use them (whether they are your own, or are supplied to you).

Problem #2: About 45 minutes into the "restart" I decided to check the run time (we were watching the movie from behind the audience, on the audience side) so I wasn't "monitoring" the runtime. About a minute after checking, POOF, power goes. Complete darkness, and Dead Silence. Sorry for the pun, the movie they were watching was called Dead Silence. I later realized that was kind of ironic! Anyway, it turns out that the customer had plugged my extension cord into one of his own, not directly into an outlet as I had assumed. This can cause several problems, including voltage drops caused by long runs. I didn't notice a voltage drop, but the other problem was that the customer's extension cord had its own "reset" switch on it. I guess it was some sort of "breaker", etc. and it had tripped, causing the power outage. I also noticed that his cord was very warm to the touch, and my cord was warm (toward the "equipment" side). I was debating pulling out a heavier cord (the one I was using was 14 gauge). But, I've used this particular cord countless times. So, I just unrolled some more cord from the reel, which allowed us to plug it directly into an outlet. We restarted again, and this time I jumped ahead using "scene selection". After this there were no more problems and we were able to get through the rest of the movie. Also, about five minutes after restarting the second time, my cord was cold to the touch, so I felt a lot better. Problem #2 solved. LESSON: verify where your power is coming from, and what it is plugged into.

Equipment used: 10' "Lead Free" CB screen, 10" EONS, dw5000u projector, Oppo DVD player.

Conditions: beautiful night for a movie, not too hot, not too cold, only 10% chance of rain. I don't think there was a cloud in the sky.

I'm only posting one picture here, as the setup was just like all my other setup pictures. But I wanted to post this picture because it shows something that I've tried to get a picture of before, but have been unable. This is a shot of the screen, projector was on, but DVD player was not, so there is no "content" being projected, just the bluish projector image. I have purposely dropped the brightness on the picture to over-emphasize the issue. It didn't look this bad in person. You can see from this picture that there are two bright "streaks" visible on the screen (coming up from the lower left-hand corner). I'm pretty sure this is basically a "hot spot" caused by the projector. I've noticed this before, even during movies, it depends mostly on the angle you are viewing from. But, I've never seen this with my Vision Experience screen, so I suspect it is due to the projection screen material of the CB screen. Again, its not always noticeable and no customer has ever said anything to me about it.

Attachment 187

I almost forgot. I also took a video during the movie. I'm trying to get my youtube account straightened out, then I'll probably upload it and post it here.
Problem #3: Dead Silence could be the worst horror film ever. I thought the best part of the movie was when the power went out.

Doug, thanks for having me along and giving me some pointers. Don't beat yourself up as overall prsentation was not compromised. I learned some things that will help fine tune my set-up. I think I am definitely going the cart route. Seems the way to go and eliminates the need for a table.

I am going to send you the video I took also. Just going to clean it up a bit.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR View Post
Problem #3: Dead Silence could be the worst horror film ever. I thought the best part of the movie was when the power went out.

That's pretty funny. Honestly, I had trouble following the story, between checking Ebay on my cell phone and my kids texting me. Oh, by the way, I won the Ebay auction I was bidding on. Scored two backup lamps for my big projector for $99! Woohoo!
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote