Mobile Sound & Video Network > Events > Picture Gallery

Picture Gallery Got a picture of your event or setup? Post it here. Since a lot of events take place in dark locations, this will also be the place for tips and tricks on how to get the best picture.

Unread 08-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #21
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
The streetlight needs to have a talk with a pellet gun
This post, plus your signature, looks like spam to me. Please contact me to let me know you are here for relevant discussions.
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #22
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Week 8 brings us the family classic, Finding Nemo. Weather is starting to get a little cooler, and with football and other camps starting this week, we had a drop in attendance to about 120.

After last week, I checked and re-checked the weather forecast. Clear skys, mid 60s and light winds, I loaded both screens anyway. When we arrived on-site there was zero wind, so the 20' screen came out. The winds picked up a decent bit, to may 10-12mph sustained during the show, but I got lucky, and it was directly edge-on on the screen, so the surface was barely fluttering.
DSCN1944.jpg
DSCN1953.jpg
You can see the flag in the background, it was fluttering pretty good.
This may be the first pic I posted since I have the light switch installed on the adjacent streetlight. You may notice that the screen area is darker then before. I shut the light off only for the feature.

New thing this week, is a snagged a couple of "turn your cell phones off and be quite" vids from youtube. And I found this great 20th century fox intro, which was transformed into 'welcome to our outdoor theater'. I ran this 2 minute sequence before the movie to laughs and applause. It kinda helped with the kid problem too, or maybe they were just not so crazy this week. I guess we will see next week.

There was also an almost full moon, so I decided to get some neat pics of the crowd. (an our screen of course.)
DSCN1957.jpg
DSCN1959.jpg

Last edited by Mackinac Movies : 08-23-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Mackinac Movies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:30 PM   #23
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

I know what you mean about it getting colder at night, and I'm not even in Michigan!

How many more showings do you have for this series?
Unread 09-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #24
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Wow, this got away from me! Time to catch up this series.

Week 9 brings us Bedtime Stories. We had about 170 people on a absolutely perfect night, if not a bit chilly. Movie was fantastic, everyone loved it. We had a bit more family units this week.

Rememberd the camera this week:
Bedtime Stories 004.jpg
Shaping up to be a nice night
Bedtime Stories 025.jpg
Crowd shots are starting to all look alike to me.
Bedtime Stories 028.jpg
Pic of the racks during teh movie. Left is Amp rack, center is DJ Rig, and right is movie head unit.
Bedtime Stories 029.jpg
CRAZY red/orange moon that night!
Bedtime Stories 047.jpg
Moon w/ screen. Gotta love that water reflection. God I love the Great lakes.

Last edited by Mackinac Movies : 09-29-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Mackinac Movies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 10:13 PM   #25
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Week #10 - and the final scheduled event of the season for this weekly series.
Labor Day, and that brings us to the feature - UP.
A good movie, I thought it was a bit rough for younger kids, but all the the crowd seemed to really like it. At the end we had applause and everything! The weather was cool, about 55d, but nice and clear. about 1/3 of the way into the move, I remembered the ISS as I saw it overhead, so I ran up, grabbed the wireless mic, and pointed it out real quick to the crowd. Lost of people appreciated it, and a pair of elderly ladies thanked me for doing that after the movie.

Our final crowd was 190 movie watchers, and 23 kids messing around. If you were to tally from beginning to end, we have over 1600 people attend the 10 events this summer, (including our 40 person rain night). The event planners are quite happy and are looking forward to next summer - we already have a contract in place.

UP 003.jpg
Movie Test
UP 004.jpg
A couple of slides I made up for pre-show.
UP 022.jpg
Here are a couple of shots of setup testing. I have started testing using the actual movie, and adjusting the projector to the best aspect ratio for that, then just running my preshow real at whatever it looks like. That way I don't mess with the projector again. Sometimes the pre-show over-runs the screen, or looks a bit small, but I am living with it so the movie looks the best.
UP 026.jpg
Had about 75 or so people, and asked them to move around front for a posed pic for the chamber of commerce. Almost all were happy to help out!

UP 031.jpg
UP... "SQUIRREL"
UP 034.jpg
UP... "I got you bird. You are my prisoner."
UP 040.jpg
Bad crowd shots tonight for some reason.

UP 047a.jpg
For my last 2 shots, I have a couple of things I figured out. Fist of all, I hate screwing the projector feet way in and out. Takes forever, and I think it may stress the bulb to do it while the lamp is lit. I found these rubber pucks. They are for putting under your furniture feet, and just a couple of $$. I stack a few under each foot, and rarely even have to mess with the screws now. I can flip one over and it is 1/2 height. After putting the projector in its case, I just put these in there with it. I would say it cuts several minutes off setup and tear down, and keeps me just a little more sane.
UP 049.jpg
Last is my extension cord bin. It you don't have one, you need one. I also highly recommend the orange cable reels. Learn to use them the proper way, it speeds things up and keeps things so much neater. BTW, I need to open this bin the next day to vent out, there always seems to be a lot o=f condensation, and sometimes a slug or 2 in there. As for the reels, I put the female end in the little slot, and then place the black slider in my left hand. The right hand grabs the knob, and spins the whole reel. Unplug your cord, and leave it out, that way when you reel it in, it pulls the cord, and provides tension on the reel so it goes on straight.

Well folks that about wraps up my summer here in Northern Michigan. I have to thank all who helped get me started, especially Doug. Could have not done it without you bud!! I think all in all, things turned out great, and my business expansion has been greatly received by our local community. 6 months ago, I had nothing, now I have 3 screens, 2 projectors and a great business reputation. people are starting to think about different uses for my service, and I think next year will even be better yet!

Thanks again everybody!!
Unread 09-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #26
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Neil, great wrap up to a great season!

I really like the first pic in your last post. It's so hard to get a well exposed picture without the screen image being too overexposed or underexposed. But that pic is really nice (as are several others there).

Gonna have to look around for some of those rubber pucks. I also HATE screwing and unscrewing the projector legs.

Now you gotta think of some good winter-time leads for all the equipment. Can you combine projectors and snowmobiles somehow?