Mobile Sound & Video Network > Events > Picture Gallery

Picture Gallery Got a picture of your event or setup? Post it here. Since a lot of events take place in dark locations, this will also be the place for tips and tricks on how to get the best picture.

Unread 06-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Default Awards Ceremony Slide Show - June 2, 2011

This event was for a local YMCA Awards Night. They were honoring a few individuals and hired me to run a slide show and powerpoint presentation.

Had very little room to work with. Used the 8' Sima screen, elevated on two tables, rear projection. The projector was not back far enough to fill the whole screen with the image, but the client was ok with this (personally, I would have moved the screen forward more, but oh well). Also, the windows were letting in A LOT of light and really washed out the image. Again, the client thought it looked great, I was very unimpressed with the set up.

They hired a separate "sound guy" to provide music and microphone because they didn't know that I could also provide sound. In the end though I'm kind of glad they went this way. It was a pretty big room, 4 speaker set up, and he was getting feedback at times. I am also not familiar with appropriate "dinner music", etc. I would like to get more experienced in this area, but I'm glad I didn't do a "trial by fire".

Some pics...

Another angle (screen all the way in the back of the picture):

Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

I think it looks OK. A little washed out, but usable for sure. The darker area behind the screen helped out. So that screen doesn't need a blower running all the time? If so, how did you fight the noise? Would you have preferred a rigid screen for indoors?

I have an extra set of light stands, and a 10' truss. If I get an indoor job like that I am just going to order an extra spandex screen and stretch it out across like the DJ Screen shows.
Unread 06-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Yeah, this screen just blows up, then you cap it off. No blower running. I would have preferred a non-inflatable, but I don't have any that would fit in this tight area. Personally I don't think the screen design is fitting for this type of event. It was a classy event, but the screen looks very "backyard".

For some reason I'm not a big fan of the spandex DJ screens. But, it would have been perfect to use here, so what do I know?
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

I found on eon the net I liked last year that you could pull like in 12 points, so you could change teh shape a bit for the event style. It also had a black picture frame piece that you could hang to hide all of the edges, and make it more elegant looking.

It wasn't too bad, like $150 for the screen, and $100 for the frame, if I remember right. I will look for it when I get a chance.
Unread 06-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinac Movies View Post
I found on eon the net I liked last year that you could pull like in 12 points, so you could change teh shape a bit for the event style. It also had a black picture frame piece that you could hang to hide all of the edges, and make it more elegant looking.

It wasn't too bad, like $150 for the screen, and $100 for the frame, if I remember right. I will look for it when I get a chance.
I gotta think that design would have looked better in this situation. If I get more events like this one I'll probably go that way. But this is one of only a few events I've ever done like this.