Mobile Sound & Video Network > Events > Movie Events

Movie Events How to coordinate, setup, and run a successful movie event. What should you charge, should you use a contract, what if it rains?

Unread 08-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
aleuni
MSV Contributor

Default Transporting Screens

I was curious to see in what type of container do you transport your screens? I thought I saw somewhere some large black boxes with wheels but for the life of me I cannot find it.

I mostly carry mine in Duffle bags although my largest screen is transported in the manufacture's original vinyl bag. It is a 15x20 vision experience screen.

I am seeing of there is something better for my 16x9 and 7x10 inflatables.

I know some also use garbage cans with wheels but I don't like the look, I think there would be too much wasted space, and i'd hate for someone to throw a coke can in the trash can at a site before I put it away.
aleuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

For my smaller screens I use a Stanley rolling tool case. I got it at Home Depot for $59.99 (actually I have 4 of them). I don't see it on Home Depot's website, but I have seen them in most Home Depot stores. It is online here for $85 plus shipping, but I wouldn't pay this much:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/43...ile_Tool_Chest

This is what it looks like (with a Sima 12' screen in it):

This might fit your 7x10. Also, depending on how tightly you roll the screens, you might be able to fit the 16x9. But, I wouldn't count on it. I just retired my 12' Sima, and I don't think I can fit my smaller Chinese screen in it. However, I started using these more for other equipment. One case holds an EON 15 perfectly. One case can also hold 2 EON 10's. I am looking into replacing the wheels with bigger inflatable ones. This case doesn't always roll easily over grass.

I've heard of people using the big trash cans also. I think it's a hit and miss whether your screen will fit or not. I guess if you could take careful measurements of a rolled screen you could measure in the store before buying. I never thought of someone accidentally using it as a trash can. Can you imagine trying to get sticky Coke off a screen?

I usually set up my screens on tarps, so I just started rolling the screen up with the tarp. This helps to protect it when moving around. I strap the rolled up screen to a hand truck now instead of using a case. I'd be interested if you found somthing bigger.

Another idea is a hand truck used for moving the big bounce houses:

I found this for about $100.
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
aleuni
MSV Contributor

What is the internal space of that Stanly Box. I just rolled up the screen and got it to 16" X 30".

I guess I can look up the EON specs also.
EONs 15 G2 = (27 in x 17 in x 17.5 in.)

OK i did the research:

Mobile Tool Chest Rolling Overall Width 37 In Overall Depth 23 In Overall Height 23 In Storage Capacity 50 Gallon High Density Structural Foam Black Locking System Nickel Plated Built-in Number of Trays 1 Deep Tote Tray Large Pull-out Wide Steel Handle Lid (2) 2 x 4 Grooves
ColorBlack HandleLarge, Pull-out, Wide, Steel ItemMobile Tool Chest Lid(2) 2 x 4 Grooves Locking SystemNickel Plated Built-in MaterialHigh Density Structural Foam Number of Trays1 Overall Depth (In.)23 Overall Height (In.)23 Overall Width (In.)37 Storage Capacity50 Gallon TrayDeep Tote TypeRolling Weight31.75

Last edited by aleuni : 08-02-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Unread 08-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

I won't be able to measure mine for a few days, but I'll post back when I do. The measurements you posted sound about right. The box tapers in toward the bottom, so the top opening is bigger than it is at the bottom (I think).
Unread 08-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
aleuni
MSV Contributor

Well I just got make from HD and it works beautifully.

The screen fits prefect. I was also ableto keep the shelf/container inside and that will hold small misc items that come with the screen. I also was able to fit the hose to fill up the screen.

I will be buying new ropes and stakes for the screen which will also fit in the box.

my secret is that to disinflate the screen I also used the blower which practically made the screen paper thin.

Last edited by aleuni : 08-04-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Unread 08-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
aleuni
MSV Contributor

Here is my rollup They may be a bit out of order since I have not mastered this forum yet.

On the outdoor pics you can see a long pipe. That was my prototype. On the indoor pics you will see the same pipe with smaller sections and a hose. When I inflated the screen I did not realize that the opening was on the top of the base.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf1394.jpg (78.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg dscf1400.jpg (52.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg dscf1402.jpg (48.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg dscf1403.jpg (48.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg dscf1404.jpg (43.7 KB, 22 views)
Unread 08-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
aleuni
MSV Contributor

The hose has a extension that is inserted into the frame. For fill that is not rally a big deal. But when one disinflates then the extension has multiple holes that allow the frame to not cover then intakes. You do need to shake the frame a bit to get the air from the far corners to move a bit but it is well worth the effort.

IT was well under 10 Mins Both ways (inflate/deflate)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf1404.jpg (43.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg dscf1405.jpg (33.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1398.JPG (88.7 KB, 21 views)
Unread 08-06-2008, 01:07 AM   #8
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

I REALLY like your deflation tube. It appears that is the key to getting screens rolled up tight. I can't believe you got that screen inside that case. That's awesome!

I remember reading somewhere else that someone used a case similar to this, and they cautioned when putting the screen into the case. Apparently the screen could get caught on one of the latches, and potentially put a hole in the screen. I never had a problem, but something to be aware of.

Are you using a leaf blower for inflating? How is that working? It looks like you can get the screen inflated really well with it.
Unread 08-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #9
aleuni
MSV Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Miles View Post
I remember reading somewhere else that someone used a case similar to this, and they cautioned when putting the screen into the case. Apparently the screen could get caught on one of the latches, and potentially put a hole in the screen. I never had a problem, but something to be aware of.

Are you using a leaf blower for inflating? How is that working? It looks like you can get the screen inflated really well with it.
I thought about checking that out when I bought the box but actually forgot to do it. Hopefully I'l remember to look into that before it is too late. I actually brought home my trailer yesterday and repacked it all since I got a few additions this summer and the trailer was a mess, so I can't really check it now.

For my blower I used the Harbor Frieght Dust collector, I originally bought it for the CB screen but it did not work. What I like is that the intake and blower are the same size so I just switch the hose.

Last edited by aleuni : 08-06-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Unread 08-07-2008, 02:39 AM   #10
aleuni
MSV Contributor

ALright I broke down....and bought another case.

After organizing my trailer I realized that my extension cords were all over the place. I have 2 long, heavy, thick extensions and other just long or just thick so a small tupperware would not do.

I examined the box and found 4 areas that could snag a screen. I might cut them down just for piece of mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Image.JPG (79.1 KB, 23 views)