Mobile Sound & Video Network > Events > Movie Events

Movie Events How to coordinate, setup, and run a successful movie event. What should you charge, should you use a contract, what if it rains?

Unread 09-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Default Setting up for a school movie night

I am doing a Movie Night for a school tomorrow night. This was intended to be an outdoor movie, but the forecast is for rain. The school is being proactive (there's a first) and contacted me about the possibility of running this indoors. Last night I met with the PTA President at the school to see what we can work out.

I thought it would be interesting to take a few pictures before the event and post them here. Below are 2 pictures I took last night. One showing the stage, one showing the room.

As you can see this is not a very big room. According to the PTA President, they are expecting 200 people. I don't know if this is an estimate, or a result of tickets sold, or what. 99.9% of the time, estimates are WAY overstated. Anyway, they are concerned with the room size, and if it looks like this will be indoors, they will be limiting this to students and 1 parent only.

I took a few measurements. The idea is to put the screen up on the stage, toward the front. Use rear projection, with the projector at the far back wall of the stage. The stage is about 19 feet deep. I need about 17 to 18 feet to fill the 10 foot Chinese Screen, which is going to be the biggest screen I can get in there. The "cross beam" above the stage is about 9'5" above the stage floor. The side curtains are on tracks so they can be opened more. The top valence of curtains are fixed and cannot be opened. I have a concern that they will partially block the top of the rear projected image. I might need to pin them up somehow. I believe the top of the 10 foot screen is higher than 9'5", but the stage extends out further than the top "cross beam". I think I can inflate the screen so that the top of the screen is in front of the beam, and then the base of the screen will extend back and under the beam. At least, that's my plan.

I usually setup the 10 foot screen with EON 10's. I know the room is on the small side, but I REALLY like to be well covered with sound. I might offer the larger speakers as an upgrade.
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Looks like this might not work indoors either. I just got a call from the school. They had sent home a flyer with the students, and asked for them to return a form indicating how many people from each family would be attending the movie night. The total count was 300. This is far too many for that room. They also don't like the idea of limiting it to students only. They thought about doing 2 showings, and splitting it by grade (of course I like that, 2 parties instead of one). But they rejected that as well.

I should be getting a call later to confirm whether they will do it or not, my guess is no.
Unread 09-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Well, the school cancelled. They said they would reschedule for sometime next Spring. Oh well.