Mobile Sound & Video Network > Events > Picture Gallery

Picture Gallery Got a picture of your event or setup? Post it here. Since a lot of events take place in dark locations, this will also be the place for tips and tricks on how to get the best picture.

Unread 05-31-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Default First Screen Video Test

So here are a few pics of my very first screen video test. I am using our 5400 lumen projector, and old DVD player, (which I can't even find the resolution on) and I grabbed Finding Nemo, cause the colors are just awesome in that movie.

First up, even before sunset, is the CB 16x8 screen. I think it looks pretty darn good. Our screens have the blackout cloth, and I think it makes a big difference.
May 2010 Mackinac Movies 011.jpg

May 2010 Mackinac Movies 013.jpg
And a PO Ambient video for fun. I don't care for the 4x3 format on this screen.
May 2010 Mackinac Movies 017.jpg

Next up (it was already dark) we tested the CB 20x12. MUCH more impressive screen.

May 2010 Mackinac Movies 026.jpg

May 2010 Mackinac Movies 027.jpg

If you look close, you can notice the seam in the screen as a little brighter bar. I don't think it detracts too much from the experience, others may not even notice.

May 2010 Mackinac Movies 028.jpg
Our camera is not the best in the total night, but you get the drift.
Mission accomplished. We got our measurements for tie down ropes, and projector position. Last piece of the puzzle is the DVD player + head unit. I think we are gonna do a kids movie in 2 weeks for practice. Nephew wants to see Bolt on the big screen.
Unread 06-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
JPR
MSV Addict

Looks good. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of projector is that? Was that rear projection?

Couldn't really notice the seam to much but I was wondering, has anyone of ever ordering the screen from a US manufacturer? Or do they also have the seam?
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Neil, pictures look great. It's all coming together!

There might be a setting in your projector which will stretch the 4:3 videos into a 16:9 shape. Then you wouldn't have the overshoot (but people in the videos will be short and fat, lol).
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

JPR
Projector is here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Toshiba-TDP-WX5400U.htm
Both screens were front projection. I did drop the back panel on the 16x8 just to see what it would be like with rear proj, and it looked OK I guess, but I had terrible light streaks coming out of the projector towards the screen. I assume this would be minimized if I were to put the projector on the ground, and not on a table.

Doug,
I did not have the manual with me, still figuring the settings out. If I were to do a job like that, I may stretch it, but just testing out it looked OK, I guess.

Last edited by Mackinac Movies : 06-01-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Mackinac Movies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

I keep forgetting that your projector has 2 lamps. Do you know if both lamps were on for your pictures? It looks like they were since you could see a picture before sunset.
Unread 06-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

We turned both lamps on to see how early we could push it. With the blackout panel, I thought that we did just fine. It makes the picture pop a lot more.

The web says: Sunset: 9:19pm Twi: 9:56pm

I think we easily could have started previews at 9:30, and the movie right at 10.
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

That's strange, your sunset is at 9:19 pm now. Ours is 8:19 pm. I assume that's the daylight savings time difference?

What you said agrees with what I tell customers also. I tell them that 1/2 hour after sunset, the picture will look great. The earlier we move back from this time, the more "washed out" the picture will be.
Unread 08-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #8
Jesse

I assume this would be minimized if I were to put the projector on the ground, and not on a table.