Mobile Sound & Video Network > Events > Picture Gallery

Picture Gallery Got a picture of your event or setup? Post it here. Since a lot of events take place in dark locations, this will also be the place for tips and tricks on how to get the best picture.

Unread 06-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #1
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Default 1st Movie Test - Bolt

So finally added all the equipment together and did a test screening for family and friends. Kids picked out Bolt, a fairly cute movie. (I love the hamster!)

My camera does not take real great night pics, but here is one from up on the road:DSCN1657.jpg

and a bad one from the drive:
DSCN1661.jpg

I used a 16x8 CB screen, with a 5400 lumen projector, sony SD DVD player.
Sound I had only 1 set of EV 15" top, and 18" sub - QSC PLX 3002 amps

Some things that I learned from that show:
#1 I need one of those DVD players that has separate center channel output to regulate the movie vocal volume better.

#2 a single 15" top w/18" sub was enough for this crowd of 15 people. I think a 16x8 screen w/ maybe 50-75 people would be OK with a pair of 12" speakers. My setup is going to be killer with the 20' screen and a couple of hundred people.

#3 need some of those little traffic cones to cordon off some areas.

#4 With about a 1/2 a billion gnats on the screen at the end of the movie, a leaf blower was just the ticket. I killed the projector, and waited about 2 minutes, then hit the screen with the leaf blower and a flashlight. Got 99% of the bugs off, and things cleaned right up.

#5 I need one of those lil LED headlamps that the wife had.

I am not at all organized as of yet, still have some time to go. It took about 1 Hr to setup, as I still had to tie some ropes up and stuff. Took about 1/2 to breakdown. I think I can get this down to 40min setup, and 25-30 min tear-down.
Unread 06-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
JPR
MSV Addict

Nice. Congrats as it seems everything went well. 1/2 hour breakdown sounds pretty good considering all the equipment.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinac Movies View Post
Some things that I learned from that show:
#1 I need one of those DVD players that has separate center channel output to regulate the movie vocal volume better.
Amen. That one change in my set up has made such a huge difference! I still can't believe it was staring me in the face the whole time.

Quote:
#2 a single 15" top w/18" sub was enough for this crowd of 15 people. I think a 16x8 screen w/ maybe 50-75 people would be OK with a pair of 12" speakers. My setup is going to be killer with the 20' screen and a couple of hundred people.
Too bad you're so far from me, or I would make it a couple hundred and one!

Quote:
#3 need some of those little traffic cones to cordon off some areas.
Mmmmmm, yes, cones, caution tape, anything you can find. Adults will usually respect the boundaries, it's kids you need to watch out for. They won't respect ANYTHING! But maybe that's more a product of this area. Some kids around here are pretty bad news. And, don't expect their parents to be watching them.

Kids (and adults) absolutely love to make "hand shadows" on the screen (making animal shadows, etc. by putting your hand between the lens and the screen). Seriously, I think it's fun also. But some kids will do just about anything to do it, including going past caution tape, past cones, some will even walk right past you up to the projector. The only sure way I have found to stop it is to have someone standing guard at all times. I've walked away from a projector for 30 seconds, only to turn around and have kids with their fingers literally ON the lens! The funny thing is, hand shadows look better AWAY from the lens, not right up next to it. The further away your hands are from the projector, the clearer the shadow looks. It's true, but not one kid has ever believed me.

Quote:
#4 With about a 1/2 a billion gnats on the screen at the end of the movie, a leaf blower was just the ticket. I killed the projector, and waited about 2 minutes, then hit the screen with the leaf blower and a flashlight. Got 99% of the bugs off, and things cleaned right up.
Nice! Good to know that works!

Quote:
#5 I need one of those lil LED headlamps that the wife had.
Speaking of 1/2 a billion. I take 1/2 a billion flashlights with me to every party, and darn if I can ever find one when I need it. The solution for me was to get this in order to have a flashlight with me at all times:

Flashlight with belt holster

Headlamps work even better. A tripod spotlight works great also, but that's added set up.

Quote:
I am not at all organized as of yet, still have some time to go. It took about 1 Hr to setup, as I still had to tie some ropes up and stuff. Took about 1/2 to breakdown. I think I can get this down to 40min setup, and 25-30 min tear-down.
How did you eventually set up the rack in relation to the audio/video. I know you were trying to decide how the setup would go.
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Mmmmmm, yes, cones, caution tape, anything you can find. Adults will usually respect the boundaries, it's kids you need to watch out for. They won't respect ANYTHING! But maybe that's more a product of this area. Some kids around here are pretty bad news. And, don't expect their parents to be watching them.

Kids (and adults) absolutely love to make "hand shadows" on the screen (making animal shadows, etc. by putting your hand between the lens and the screen). Seriously, I think it's fun also. But some kids will do just about anything to do it, including going past caution tape, past cones, some will even walk right past you up to the projector. The only sure way I have found to stop it is to have someone standing guard at all times. I've walked away from a projector for 30 seconds, only to turn around and have kids with their fingers literally ON the lens! The funny thing is, hand shadows look better AWAY from the lens, not right up next to it. The further away your hands are from the projector, the clearer the shadow looks. It's true, but not one kid has ever believed me.

Ya, trust me, from DJing weddings and special events, I know kids. I also know that most parents look at these events as psudu babysitters, and let teh lil bugger run. I got no problem putting somone elses kids in there place, especially if they are anywhere close to my setup.

How did you eventually set up the rack in relation to the audio/video. I know you were trying to decide how the setup would go.

Well, still don't have my final head rack setup yet, so went a lil redneck. I had my DJ head rack that I set on the table next to the DVD & projector. Ran the audio over XLR Cables to the amp rack sitting behind the sub. I think this is the way I am going to end up doing it.
Unread 07-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
JPR
MSV Addict

Had an impromtu trial run last night. Haven't really had time to set things up or even dedicate much time to it. The weather was a little crappy in NJ yesterday so I had a bunch of cancellations and decided to set it up last minute. Probably not the best idea for your first time. That being said everything went well except that I couldn't figure out how to fill the whole screen. I know the whole won't be filled but should be more than what I had.

Was very happy with the picture quality. It was like being in a movie theater. At least that's what everyone said. I am very happy with the K12's. I think I got it right. I will provide some pictures shortly. Really need to iron out the details of the set-up. Also realized the importance of a cart or something to set the projector on. Overrall pretty happy.
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #6
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Check the manual on your projector. I have to switch mine to 16x10 mode to fill my screen better. What I did was put a few different movies in my living room, then played with wide screen, and the different settings inside the projector. I measured the length & width, and calced the ratio to tell me what was the best. I have to use a different setting for the big & small screens.
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Try what Neil said, might be a simple setting change.

Also, can you describe more about what you mean when you say you couldn't fill the whole screen? Were you watching a widescreen movie? What kind of cable connection were you using from the dvd player to projector? Composite, S-Video, Component, HDMI, etc?
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
JPR
MSV Addict

I was using an s-video cable. Could that be the issue? I haven't gotten to the manual yet. I am sure the answer is in there somewhere.

What I mean by couldn't fill the screen is that I had big bars on top and bottom. The I also had bars on the side. It was a widescreen movie (man on fire), used the epson 1925W 4k lumens and the night was clear. The pictures aren't great since such a dark film. Not the best selection but this was thrown together pretty quickly.

I was about to upload a few photos but I had a hard time. Do I need to shrink the pictures before uploading?