Mobile Sound & Video Network > Events > Picture Gallery

Picture Gallery Got a picture of your event or setup? Post it here. Since a lot of events take place in dark locations, this will also be the place for tips and tricks on how to get the best picture.

Unread 08-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Week #6 brings us 'Iron Man' OK movie I guess, but maybe not the best for an outdoor screen. I have been happier with other movies.
Attendance about 190, good, but thought that would be bigger.
No pictures this week, forgot the camera.
No major changes, was really busy last week, so no messing around.

It was pretty humid again, in fact about 1.5 hours into the movie, a huge fog bank rolled in. You could barely see the shoreline and the light beams off the projector were kinda neat. I started covering all the electronics with a sheet until I can get a little covered workstation worked out. I am starting to get a little concerned about my speakers out in the elements. Lots of times they are wet when tearing down. I wipe them off, but the moisture is there. I am usually under a tent when DJing, so it has not been a problem in the past.

We are developing a bit of a crowd problem, and it was worse then last week. You are not going to see this with a one-off event, because people are there to see the movie, but with the summer movie series, each week that goes by, we have more of the local kids coming, 'just to hang out'. It is not as much of a special event, so they come, hang out, and just mess around. The movie is an excuse to go out on a Sunday night. They are not really watching the movie, and lots of talking and messing around in the back. I know I had at least one family that left because of it. I was sitting in the front, and it was kinda bothering me. Any ideas on how to smooth that out? Announcements? Cops walking the crowd? Old drive in "shhhhhhh" clips before movie? I would like to get my point across without ruining a good thing too.
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinac Movies View Post
Week #6 brings us 'Iron Man' OK movie I guess, but maybe not the best for an outdoor screen. I have been happier with other movies.
Attendance about 190, good, but thought that would be bigger.
That's surprising. I would have thought Iron Man would be a big draw. However, I'm glad you posted this. At first I thought you were referring to Iron Man 2, but that doesn't come out until late September. I have a University that wants to show Iron Man 2, but their event is in August. Your post prompted me to follow up with them for clarification, so thanks!

Quote:
No pictures this week, forgot the camera.
No camera? Gasp!

Quote:
It was pretty humid again, in fact about 1.5 hours into the movie, a huge fog bank rolled in. You could barely see the shoreline and the light beams off the projector were kinda neat. I started covering all the electronics with a sheet until I can get a little covered workstation worked out. I am starting to get a little concerned about my speakers out in the elements. Lots of times they are wet when tearing down. I wipe them off, but the moisture is there. I am usually under a tent when DJing, so it has not been a problem in the past.
Moisture has always bothered me, in particular for the speakers and the projector. But I must say that I really haven't noticed any adverse effects from moisture over the years (knock on wood).

Quote:
We are developing a bit of a crowd problem, and it was worse then last week. You are not going to see this with a one-off event, because people are there to see the movie, but with the summer movie series, each week that goes by, we have more of the local kids coming, 'just to hang out'. It is not as much of a special event, so they come, hang out, and just mess around. The movie is an excuse to go out on a Sunday night. They are not really watching the movie, and lots of talking and messing around in the back. I know I had at least one family that left because of it. I was sitting in the front, and it was kinda bothering me. Any ideas on how to smooth that out? Announcements? Cops walking the crowd? Old drive in "shhhhhhh" clips before movie? I would like to get my point across without ruining a good thing too.
Hmmmm... I see what you mean, not wanting to ruin a good thing. Are the kids young? Are their parents in attendance and just not paying attention to where they are? Or, are they like High School age? If the parents are there, maybe you can make an announcement like "It's movie time, do you know where your kids are?". If the kids are older, maybe a police walk-around would help deter the "hanging out". If it's making people leave then I would definitely do something about it. I'll try to think of some more ideas.
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #13
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Miles View Post

Moisture has always bothered me, in particular for the speakers and the projector. But I must say that I really haven't noticed any adverse effects from moisture over the years (knock on wood0.
I don't see condensation on teh projector at all. That sucker really heats up, and I think that keeps it dry.

The electronics bother me. RIght now, I am thinking of a little table cover that everything will go under, that should keep it dry enough, as it is teh standing water on things that bugs me.

The speakers are another thing. My tops are plastic, so teh case will be OK. I have seen just a little rust on the speaker grill, which makes we wonder what is happening to the internal components. The subs are plywood, and in need of a cabinet overhaul. I want to strip them, and put truck bed liner on them. Tough as hell, and the moisture should not be a problem. All in all the speakers are 11 years old, with hundreds of flawless jobs on them, so I guess they really don't owe me anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Miles View Post

Hmmmm... I see what you mean, not wanting to ruin a good thing. Are the kids young? Are their parents in attendance and just not paying attention to where they are? Or, are they like High School age? If the parents are there, maybe you can make an announcement like "It's movie time, do you know where your kids are?". If the kids are older, maybe a police walk-around would help deter the "hanging out". If it's making people leave then I would definitely do something about it. I'll try to think of some more ideas.
I guess is is mostly local tween/teens with no parents around. I am definatly going to get a clip together for sunday, and talk to the police too. I have to remember, this really is not for our local kids, it is geared towards the tourists, and they are the ones that we want to stay and have a good time.
Unread 08-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
JPR
MSV Addict

Quote:
I don't see condensation on teh projector at all. That sucker really heats up, and I think that keeps it dry.

The electronics bother me. RIght now, I am thinking of a little table cover that everything will go under, that should keep it dry enough, as it is teh standing water on things that bugs me.

The speakers are another thing. My tops are plastic, so teh case will be OK. I have seen just a little rust on the speaker grill, which makes we wonder what is happening to the internal components. The subs are plywood, and in need of a cabinet overhaul. I want to strip them, and put truck bed liner on them. Tough as hell, and the moisture should not be a problem. All in all the speakers are 11 years old, with hundreds of flawless jobs on them, so I guess they really don't owe me anything

I guess is is mostly local tween/teens with no parents around. I am definatly going to get a clip together for sunday, and talk to the police too. I have to remember, this really is not for our local kids, it is geared towards the tourists, and they are the ones that we want to stay and have a good time.
I'd invest in a taser. Once you tase one of them the rest will realize they should keep quiet.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #15
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR View Post
I'd invest in a taser. Once you tase one of them the rest will realize they should keep quiet.
http://www.electotronics.com/taserin...iumsilver.aspx

"Lithium Power Magazine is Good for Over 50 Uses".

Probably get you through a whole season!
Unread 08-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #16
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Tasers... Hummmm. Not a bad idea. Police were not available this week, so I ended up walking around with a flashlight a couple of times, and it helped but did not solve the problem. I did not get my Shhh movie clip finished in time. Finding some that were interesting proved harder then I thought. 1/2 way through the movie I had bigger things to worry about then just some kids talking...
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #17
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Week #7 brings us Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa.
We had a decent crowd of about 210 people, and the hot dog cart was selling like crazy. I have not seen this movie yet, and that has not changed after this evening.

Watching the weather all day, things look to be nice and dry for a change, low humidity means less condensation, and a happier me after the last few weeks. Light clouds, and winds at 13mph for 7-8pm supposed to drop to 5mph by 11pm. Which screen to use? I always like the big screen, but the little one is better in winds. Last week I hurt my lower leg, so I decided to toss the 16' screen in the truck and make the decision on-site, as my house had light winds, but the flags on the bay were a big squirmy.

Arrived on-site, and mulled it over for 10 minutes or so, and decided to go with the small screen as it would be a little easier on my leg, knowing full well that as soon as I set the screen, winds would die down, and I would want the big one. We laid the screen out, and I have found that you can stake the 2 lower rear points, and one up-wind side of the screen on a breezy day. We then inflate the screen and stake the 4 guys to the top corners, adjust the screen so all the ropes are tight, and stake the last corner. The winds were steady at 10-13, with gusts of 15-18, maybe at the time, so I deleted the screen again until closer to show time. Bunches of people showed up , so we inflated the screen in 10mph winds and started the movie. about 30min into the movie the darn winds shifted about 90, and the screen slid backwards (previously into the wind, and then leaned forwards. The screen was billowing out about 2-3 feet as the winds gusted. I spend about 10 minutes using my spare claws and reposition the guys to hold things more firm, and keep the screen from sliding. All the while the winds were slowly building.

I had everything staked really well, 9 points in all. I decided that the screen was still moving around too much, and taped over my blower pressure relief vent to up the air pressure in the screen and firm things up some. The last 30 minutes of the move were nerve racking to say the least. I kept monitoring the tie down points to make sure that nothing was going to rip out (I can't believe that it did not) The winds increased even more, the screen was billowed out 3-4 feet, and the top cross member was beginning to buckle down now and then as the screen pulled on it. Julie and I decided to go and sit on the back tube of the screen for the last 15-20 minutes of the show. This took the pressure off of the rear tie downs, and we could monitor the screen closely from here. I was very very close to shutting down the movie. I would have never ever setup in those kind of winds that we had at the end of the night, but once we had 210 people all there and otherwise a nice movie evening, I felt that the risk was worth it to finish the event. I am really surprised that we did not have any failures, and other then a mild heart-attack, we pulled it off.

I blame weather.com mostly. All day, and when we left the house they said 8pm 10-13mph winds, and 11pm 5-6mph winds. By the time we got home that was revised to 10-15mph winds @8pm, 25-30mph winds by 12pm, and 30-40mph winds the next day. Must be nice to be a weatherman, you never have to get anything right!

Oh ya, I had the camera this week, but got way too busy to remember to take any pics. I wish I would have gotten one with the screen billowed out, and the flags stood right out in the background!
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #18
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

OUCH!

First, let me say, I liked Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa. You should watch it (inside) if you get a chance.

Maybe it was the movie choice! I had a problem with Madagascar (or was it The Bee Movie). Darn, I forget. Wind ripped my 20' screen guy ropes right out of the ground, picked up the whole screen, and threw it backwards onto my projector, etc. That took about 6 years off my life!

I think you handled it perfectly. That's a horrible feeling, isn't it? I know exactly how you felt. But, you got through it. Just think, what if you had the bigger screen up? It probably would have landed in my backyard!
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #19
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

If that was the bigger setup, it would have been cut short, for sure. In fact, I don't know I would have even setup the 20' screen. Supposedly it is only 4' wider, but is is also 4' taller on the screen, and the frame is 3' taller. It seems just so much bigger to handle all around. I really was waiting for one of the tie-down eyes to rip right out of the tube and have the whole thing deflate. I had to adjust the D rings on the screen several times to make sure they were not twisted, and pulling on a corner, making more stress. I use those 'claw' stakes in the ground, and they are rated at 1200 lbs pulling force, so I doubt that I will see one get ripped out of the ground.

It was just a little too much excitement for a Sunday evening.
Unread 08-21-2010, 05:44 AM   #20
Jesse

The streetlight needs to have a talk with a pellet gun