Mobile Sound & Video Network > Events > Movie Events

Movie Events How to coordinate, setup, and run a successful movie event. What should you charge, should you use a contract, what if it rains?

Unread 03-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
melchz
MSV Contributor

Default figured i'd ask...pic request

So since this will be my first season with my screens going out I am having trouble with marketing material. No one nearby is really doing this (good for me) but it is hard to get the idea across without showing pictures. I got my screens late last fall and didnt really get to use them. So I guess what I'm asking is this. For those that would be comfortable with it, I am looking for a good couple of pictures to put on some flyers of pre show kinds of shots. You know, a bunch of people saving their seats waiting for the movie to start with the screen blown up etc. I refuse to be one of those guys that just steals other peoples pics (in the few times ive used pics or text etc it was with owners full permission.). I have a 16x9 and a 20x12 CB screen. but even a mattress style would probably be ok if viewed from the front. This is mainly just to get me going so that this season i can shoot some of my own pics and video. I'm not getting anything professionally done just yet as ill be more comfortable once i have my own pics where they may recognize the background in the pic. Just some flyers printed off my computer.

I appreciate any help given and understand for those who don't.
Thanks as always for all the help now and in the future.

Josh
melchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

I have a lot of pics from events, unfortunately it's been difficult to get any good "promotional" pics. The best camera to use is a digital SLR, especially one with good low-light capabilities. My camera pales in comparison to what a digital SLR can do. Also, the best pictures show the screen, the audience getting ready, and some of the surroundings. The problem is that this usually means it is too light to see a projected image on the screen. I've seen many people photoshop images on the screen, but I think that misleads the customer into thinking that "daytime" movies are possible.

The picture below is from an event last year using a 16' x 9' CB screen. When I took the picture I was standing up on a hill, and this unfortunately makes the screen look smaller (in my opinion). Also, this particular crowd sat further back than I think they needed to.

I don't do very many events each year with my 20' screen, so I have fewer pictures of that set up. Also, the bigger events tend to keep me more busy, and therefore taking pictures isn't always on the top of my mind.

Is this the kind of picture you are looking for?

I took a quick stab at cropping it a little. After looking at the picture above, I thought it might look better if there wasn't as much of the trees showing above the screen. Also, I thought it might appear to be a bigger crowd if I cropped the bottom out a little. That way the crowd might "appear" to be larger than the picture shows. This event ended up with about twice the number of people you see, but it certainly wasn't a HUGE crowd.

Here's the cropped version:

Of course the above picture is no longer in "standard" picture dimensions. I'll look for some more if this is the kind of thing you want. Also I can supply you the originals instead of copying the ones above (I reduced them in size just for posting).
Doug Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

I just thought of something else. Probably THE BEST way to get pictures is to host your own event (possibly just a backyard movie). But, invite friends, family, neighbors, whoever will come. Let them know that there will be a free movie (maybe some snacks and drinks) in exchange for using them as "props" for your photos. I've been wanting to do this since I began, but just never got it together.

My idea was to aim for having the crowd assembled about an hour before sunset if possible. Then I would take shots from all different angles, etc. I would probably even look into borrowing or renting a dSLR for the occasion.
Unread 03-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Another quick thought. I'm wondering if it would help to have a section (or forum) for sharing photos, documents, etc. For instance, if someone has a contract template they want to share, or in this case, event photos they don't mind sharing, they could post it. I don't how useful it would be have a separate forum just for sharing, but otherwise, this type of discussion will probably be lost (and difficult to find through a search).

Believe it or not I've been trying to slim down the number of different forums here (there are already a lot). But if it makes sense to add one for sharing I'm all for it.
Unread 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

JOsh,
You can use one from my posts last season if you like. Not sure if it would work for you though becasue all mine have the big lake in the background. Let me know if you want the full sized version of one.
Unread 03-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
JPR
MSV Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinac Movies View Post
JOsh,
You can use one from my posts last season if you like. Not sure if it would work for you though becasue all mine have the big lake in the background. Let me know if you want the full sized version of one.
Neil,

Would you mind if I used one of your pics? Putting together a brochure and not of my pictures are as bright as yours.

Thanks,
Armando
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
Mackinac Movies
MSV Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR View Post
Neil,

Would you mind if I used one of your pics? Putting together a brochure and not of my pictures are as bright as yours.

Thanks,
Armando
I don't mind helping out those who are not in my state.
Pick one out and let me know via PM, I will see if I can still find the original size.

I think we all can run with the general guideline that a borrowed pic can be used for a year so that in the wintertime we can get websites and printing done for the coming summer, and during that summer we can get our own pics to be used in the future.
Unread 03-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
Doug Miles
MSV Pro

Quote:
I think we all can run with the general guideline that a borrowed pic can be used for a year so that in the wintertime we can get websites and printing done for the coming summer, and during that summer we can get our own pics to be used in the future.
I agree, this sounds like a good guideline. Use others' pictures (with permission) to get things going, but substitute your own pics as soon as possible.
Unread 03-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
JPR
MSV Addict

Sounds like a good rule. I really need a new camera. 2 months ago the wife dropped our camera and it landed lens first. ugh!
Unread 03-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
JPR
MSV Addict

Quote:
I don't mind helping out those who are not in my state.
Pick one out and let me know via PM, I will see if I can still find the original size.

Thank you. I'll take a look and let you know. I am not a 100% sure I need one. All of mine come out dark though. You can definitely make out your pics.